Did you know caffeine is the most widely consumed psychoactive drug in the world?
Fun fact: Common belief by scientists is that plants produce caffeine as a defense mechanism to ward off herbivores and plant pests!
Caffeine is consumed in various types of beverages, pills, etc and for good reason! Numerous studies have been done on the beneficial effects of caffeine.
– Increased cognitive functioning and memory retention
– Increased power output during exercise
– When consumed with carbs muscle glycogen is replenished faster (great for endurance athletes)
– Lowers chance of getting oral cancer (studies are limited, but continued studies are promising)
– Lowers risk of getting Alzheimer’s and many more!
Coffee can absolutely cause negative effects if consumed in large quantities(over 250-300mg for most people), so like everything in life, moderation is key!
Note: Limit or eliminate coffee consumption for those who have high blood pressure, diabetes, bad acid reflux, and digestive issues.